Thursday, May 31, 2007

I had an accident.


God is so good, and it is great to be working for the Lord here in Italy! Yesterday morning, I was riding my bicycle to work when a car pulled out and side-ended me. It smashed the front of my bike and I went over the handle bars, but I was totally ok. The bike's front, however, was busted pretty bad. Through the whole situation, though--from when the woman got out of the car to when I arrived at the bookstore to tell them what happened--God totally gave me peace. I was even joyful as the whole situation happened.

Earlier that morning, I was reading in Psalm 39, where David prays:

LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.
Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is
fleeing away.
My life is no longer than the width of my hand. An entire
lifetime is just a moment to you: human existence is but
A breath. selah

We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends
in nothing.
We heap up wealth for someone else to spend.

This is a passage with profound meaning, and I think it is appropriate given the circumstances of the day. So often we walk through life assuming that our days will go as planned, that we will accomplish everything we set out to do, etc. I think many days, if not almost all days, all of us see the day as our own and in our own hands. I assume that my life will continue on and that I won't have to worry about it ending for about 60 years. Yesterday really convicted me of the fact that I must live each day in light of the fact that this world is only a breath, that my life is not my own, that I must live for Christ every day, prepared to see my Lord's face.

And so, Lord, where do I put my hope?
My only hope is in you.

God, let that be always the case, that I trust in you at all times and put no confidence in any other name.

b

1 comment:

brian campbell said...

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Keep me posted on when you read, I hope you're encouraged!

b